Thursday, March 13, 2014

Chapter 32 of The St. Martin's Guide to Writing

Finally! I am writing my second blog post.  I meant to do this a lot sooner, but between having to work and my stupid internet not working, it got delayed. But, hopefully (with the help of a lot of energy drinks) I can get caught up.

Chapter 32 explains about how important it is to collaborate with other people especially when writing.  Allowing others to read your work as you're in the process of developing it allows you to get a different perspective on the paper so maybe they'll see things that you're missing or that need to be developed more.  It also discusses being blunt with the person's paper you are reviewing. Sometimes it's hard being frank with someone when they've made mistakes on their paper but you have to keep in mind that being "polite" and not telling them what's wrong with their paper is hindering them in the long run because they may never notice it and then end up losing points for it when it is graded. I know I really appreciate it when someone is frank with me when reading my papers if I made a mistake because then I can learn from it and fix it.  And there are times where I make punctuation mistakes or have problems wording something and don't notice it no matter how many times I read it and it isn't until someone else points it out that I realize it. So I think it's very crucial to have other people go over your papers and discuss them with you.


1 comment:

  1. :) We can all get behind. It matters more about how you finish the race! Try orange juice vs. energy drinks. It naturally raises your blood sugar! :)

    Good points about peer reviewing from Chapter 32. I hope you all do that when reading each other's.

    Ms. Hanson

    ReplyDelete